Home is a place that is supposed to be a serene and conducive environment to relax when tired, to raise children in, and a place to find solace when you have had a hectic day at work. However, all these cannot be realized with rodents and other pests around. It can be a scary experience for kids and a health hazard to all.
Pests and rodents don’t bring with them any good news. On the contrary, they pose a danger to you and your family. Therefore all steps necessary for the prevention of such vermin from infesting your home should be practiced.
Even though some rodents are kept as pets, unwanted vermin should not be tolerated. Pointe Pest Control, a reputable pest control company in Portland, supports this further stating that even the most generous person cannot extend their generosity to allowing pests and rodents to stay inside their houses.
Rodents, being a nuisance, are frequent causes of fire hazards, destruction to property and important documents, destruction to power/electric cables, and diseases.
Effects of rodent infestation in your home
Rodents have the following effects when they infest your homes
- Insulation and electrical damage– This is caused by mice, rats, and bats, which often find the insulation in your home warm cozy and quiet. They chew holes in your insulations further weakening it and jeopardizing the protection of your home from the elements.
- Holes everywhere– Rodents such as raccoons and possums dig up holes all over your compound and homes in an effort to hide food or search for bugs.
- Stealing and destruction of property– Rats, mice, and raccoons are notorious little bandits known for sneaking into your home and steal or gnaw on whatever they desire in your home.
- Diseases-Rodents transmit diseases such as plaque, salmonella, and hepatitis. Moreover, they have parasites like ticks and fleas which are dangerous to you and your family.
So, now that you are aware of the consequences of rodents’ infestation, how can you protect yourself, your loved ones and your family from these vermin? Here are four simple ways to prevent rodents from invading your property.
How to prevent rodent infestation
1. Maintain home repairs
Whenever you spot any defect that needs repair, never let it go untreated. Holes, leaks and other damages should always be attended to when they are spotted. Keeping your home in good condition and sealing off all unwanted spaces helps prevent rodents from invading your home. This is because their passage will be cut off.
2. Store food properly
Food should be stored properly and hygienically. It should not be left out openly as it tends to attract rodents. Food should be stored in sealed containers and pet food should always be covered by a lid to prevent rodents from being attracted by it.
3. Secure your garbage cans
You should ensure that your garbage cans are closed at all times. The area around your trash should be clean and clear. Furthermore, you should not leave trash lying out in bags as this will attract rats and mice.
4. Always maintain your yard
Always ensure that your yard is well kept and maintained. Keep your hedges trimmed, cut back trees and add tree guards to trees in your yard. These measures help prevent the rodents from crawling up and accessing your roof.
You should never try to remove these rodents on your own. This is because they are aggressive and may bite when they are provoked or when they feel threatened. It is important to call over experts in pest control to handle the situation.