If your car engine gets overheated, it will take no time to ruin the powertrain of your car. This is because a heated engine will start affecting the parts that are interconnected to it, and from there all you can expect is a visit to the service center, or calling a roadside emergency, if things take a turn towards an extreme.
Once we had a similar experience and visited the nearest service center, of the Petaluma Hyundai dealership, where the expert mechanics were generous enough to share some fruitful insights about engine overheating and how to deal with it. They said you can help yourself in keeping things under control, once you can sense that the engine is getting a little hot under the hood and keep the following steps in mind.
Driving only a quarter of mile when your engine is already overheated can lead to serious damages, while you can’t prevent your engine entirely from getting heated up, especially if you are driving for long hours in hot climate. The only way out to handle such situation is by staying prepared in advance and make good use of a couple of things like a bottle or can of Engine coolant, a Towel or a Set of Working Gloves. You need the coolant to cool down your engine, you need the towel or a set of working gloves to remove the cap of the engine top, as it will be too hot to touch with bare skin.
Monitor the Temperature Gauge
If the engine gets overheated beyond certain measures, it can generate a lot of smoke under the hood. To prevent it from reaching that point, the in-built water temperature gauge will let you know about the condition. If indicator mark reaches the red part of the instrument, you should know for sure, the engine is overheated to a dangerous level.
Actions to Take
If your engine has reached the temperature beyond what is normal, here is how you can cool it down:
- If you find the engine crossing the level of normal temperature, the first thing you need to do is pulling over as soon as possible.
- Next, turn off the engine right away. And park it somewhere direct sunlight doesn’t fall on the engine to make the situation still worse.
- Start with turning off the air conditioning. The car engine needs to generate enough heat to supply the required amount of power. The more it needs to work harder the more heat it will require to produce. The air conditioner of the car needs high amount of power to run which will force the engine to produce more heat, even if it has heated up already. It is an automatic mechanism that won’t stop unless you stop all its tasks.
- Now pop the hood up carefully. Allow the hood to stay open at least for 30 minutes, as that is the minimum time an engine needs to cool down after it has heated up. Use the engine temperature gauge to sense what is the current condition of the engine.
- Check the coolant levels and top it up, if the level has gone down beyond the recommended level.
You can get more such emergency tips from the experts of the Petaluma Hyundai dealership and save your car from sudden damages.